Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

outdooring

5 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

So what exactly is an outdooring? Sounds funny.

Posted · Report post

So what exactly is an outdooring? Sounds funny.

Sunflower, Naming and Outdooring ceremonies is celebrated in most Ghanaian communities. It is called a naming ceremony because it is the first day the child is given a name and it is also called an outdooring ceremony because it is the first time the child is taken out of doors.

Different ethnic groups have different names for naming and outdooring ceremonies. Among the Akans, it is known as Abadinto, In some communities, the baby is not taken out for some days when it is born.

On the day of the naming ceremony, your head of family takes the child unto his laps and both the water and the schnapp is poured into separate glasses and he then dips his finger into the schnapp and then mentions the baby name, he says .... when you see schnapp say is schnapp, goes through the same process with the water, this i think is done to signify truth, meaning the child should grow up to tell the truth. etc

Posted · Report post

i think there has been a thread on this topic before and i pray bula or

who ever can to check it for us.

Posted (edited) · Report post

am i right to say that the whole meanig of Outdooring has dramatically changed.

it seems to me that most parents now have outdoorings as a means of getting money...

you now have announcements being made every 30 minutes to remind guest that "kodjo" is sittting

in the far corner with his pen and paper ready to take your donation....

Edited by zulughana