Canucklhead

Trying to help - Omenako School Project

280 posts in this topic

I do not know why I was born in Canada, but I do know that I am very lucky. I am aware that the majority of the people on this planet do not have access to the same services that I do. I deeply wish that all the people of the world could be as lucky as I am.

I am a simple man, I work as a bartender and live in a small apartment. In my own country, I am lower middle class. I do not own land or a house. I am coming to visit Ghana.

A lot of the good people I know take things with them when they travel, mostly to help a small school or orphanage. Things like paper, pens, or chalk.

My idea, is that I would like to donate my laptop to an educational organisation. I realise that hooking it up to the internet is not realistic, but I can load the hardrive with an Encyclopedia, Dictionary, math and spelling games. The laptop will also play CD's and DVD's My laptop could act as a mini library. The only requirement is a steady power supply.

Most importantly, I want this small gift to go to help the most needy children. While I cannot change the world, mebbe I can help one kid and move the planet forward one trillion billionith of an inch? Given the space that I have in my suitcase, I think the best use of that space is a laptop filled with as much human knowledge and educational games as I possibly can and the ability to add more knowledge.

Is this a good idea, or should I just bring as many pens as possible?

If this is a good idea can anyone suggest the most worthy school or orphanage for my small anonymous gift? I would prefer a rural environment where internet access is not available.

I would just like to find a place where my small gift could do the most good. I am just one person trying to do one thing.

any advice is greatly appreciated

Canucklhead

Edited by Canucklhead

One laptop may not be enough, but I know a school called Omanenase Methodist Primary School. It is a very deprived school. They need real help, nothing expensive, $100 here to buy roofing sheet, $200 to buy cement or even hire labour so the children can concentrate, because they are building their own school . I suggest you sell your laptop which I suppose will get you some £1000 - $1500. That amount can build a basic classroom for the kids, purchase some basic toiletories, text books. It could even set up a small ivestment fund to better the lot of the children.

One laptop may not be enough, but I know a school called Omanenase Methodist Primary School. It is a very deprived school. They need real help, nothing expensive, $100 here to buy roofing sheet, $200 to buy cement or even hire labour so the children can concentrate, because they are building their own school . I suggest you sell your laptop which I suppose will get you some £1000 - $1500. That amount can build a basic classroom for the kids, purchase some basic toiletories, text books. It could even set up a small ivestment fund to better the lot of the children.

Where is Omanenase Methodist Primary School?

I have been to "Amanase Methodist School" and not Omanase. Maybe it might be the same place. The AMANASE I am talking about is on the SUHUM - NSAWAM road past the litttle town of ASUBOI

$100 will buy 10 bags of cement. When I was in Ghana, cement was going for GHS 8.80 per bag. If you guys think this is a worthy cause, and I think it is, we should discuss raising some money for some materials. We have not done anything like this before.

Where is Bula?

I cannot donate much because I am thinking of doing something similar for my own primary school.

You can put me down for GHS 50.00

$100 will buy 10 bags of cement. When I was in Ghana, cement was going for GHS 8.80 per bag. If you guys think this is a worthy cause, and I think it is, we should discuss raising some money for some materials. We have not done anything like this before.

Where is Bula?

I cannot donate much because I am thinking of doing something similar for my own primary school.

And how is this fund going to be mobilized?? And how about the distribution of the purchased goods.

Omenase is a 'ghost' town along the Accra-Kumase road, its just by the road. I think when you are from Accra, you get to Omenase a few minutes from Suhum, I think.

Omanba, I have a picture of the signboard of the town and I can confirm it is OMENASE

On one of my trips back from up North, the STC car I was in broke down at Omenase and we had to wait for about 2 hours. While we hung around, I observed this: See picture below

20p5211.jpg

While I took shots, the Headmistress approached me and nicely took me round the school. She explaimed to me why the children were carrying stones instead of sitting in the classrooom

Where is Bula?

And how is this fund going to be mobilized?? And how about the distribution of the purchased goods.

We should not stretch ourselves too thin.

We should just agree on one school project and donate to it.

If it is a school building, we can find out what they need and contribute to it. God knows there are enough uncompleted buildings out there. With some luck, we can help complete one of them.

Good idea. The only thing is which one?? People should post pictures of some school structures that really needs the help. That will help

Omenase is a 'ghost' town along the Accra-Kumase road, its just by the road. I think when you are from Accra, you get to Omenase a few minutes from Suhum, I think.

Omanba, I have a picture of the signboard of the town and I can confirm it is OMENASE

On one of my trips back from up North, the STC car I was in broke down at Omenase and we had to wait for about 2 hours. While we hung around, I observed this: See picture below

20p5211.jpg

While I took shots, the Headmistress approached me and nicely took me round the school. She explaimed to me why the children were carrying stones instead of sitting in the classrooom

Paddy,

Where is the picture?

Hmmmm.. It is omanase?? ... I have been there several times. It is about 30 minutes drive from suhum heading to Nsawam

Is it near ASUBOI ?? PADDY

Edited by omanba

Same place

The school doesn't benefit from the famous School Feeding Programme. This is because they do not have a kitchen. Now this school doesnt even have complete class room blacks. The Headteacher has thus suspended the construction of the classroom block to complete the kitchen in order to benefit from the programme.

Omanba, its the same town. Next time look harder. again, the school is not visible because its nothing but sheds and funny structures.

The headmistress and the children really need an award. They have done well. In an era when Kuffuor has solves all of our education problems.....

so Paddy, if U feel strongly about it. Let's decide to adopt this school and build it.

Take a look at what it needs and how much it will cost and those who want to contribute can do so and we do something constructive. I am on board.

I shud pop into Ghana during the course of the year. If I do, we can take a trip to this place and check it out.

Bula Matali

Good Idea Bula

Paddy what do you say? ..

Same place

The school doesn't benefit from the famous School Feeding Programme. This is because they do not have a kitchen. Now this school doesnt even have complete class room blacks. The Headteacher has thus suspended the construction of the classroom block to complete the kitchen in order to benefit from the programme.

Omanba, its the same town. Next time look harder. again, the school is not visible because its nothing but sheds and funny structures.

The headmistress and the children really need an award. They have done well. In an era when Kuffuor has solves all of our education problems.....

Paddy,

Why can't you leave our dear president out of this, huh? :duel::duel::angry2:

We are finally getting around to doing something worthwhile, and you want to derail the thread.

You are hereby warned, to desist and refrain from.....

Where is the legalese when I need it? :blink:

so Paddy, if U feel strongly about it. Let's decide to adopt this school and build it.

Take a look at what it needs and how much it will cost and those who want to contribute can do so and we do something constructive. I am on board.

I shud pop into Ghana during the course of the year. If I do, we can take a trip to this place and check it out.

Bula Matali

Bula,

As you may have read already, I am on board.

However, in spite of reciprocity being objectionable in any charitable endevour, I will suggest that we discuss the issue of getting some recognition for our contribution.

Here it goes....

Paddy,

Explain to the headmistress that we want the ball-park and the library to be named after this community. That is, if they have a library.

Before anybody bashes my head, I'll do it myself. :old_bash:

Bula Matali

Bula,

However, in spite of reciprocity being objectionable in any charitable endevour, I will suggest that we discuss the issue of getting some recognition for our contribution.

Here it goes....

Paddy,

Explain to the headmistress that we want the ball-park and the library to be named after this community. That is, if they have a library.

Good Idea Hipic,

that is doing something worthwhile, other peeps seeing it and following the example

dont bash your own head its not a good idea ..

:cheekkiss:

.."Doing something for our motherland"... That is the spirit.

Count me in.

Also, I am available to audit all funds donated and how they were used - to the penny. Accountability starts at home.

Ladies and Gentlemen, if you give me you word, I shall take a trip to Omenase this weekend. Probably, I will take sleeque along to assess the extent of need. I will bring picture and video evidence.

That will be my part. For now.

Some questions.

We need someone to collect the funds and 'keep/invest' till we are ready to disburse

We need someone to set the ground rules for donation and disbursement - we dont want to give anyone the reason to collapse the forum

Thank God Confused is ready to help with the accounting

what else?

Absolute discretion ??

I have sent those who say they are in the telephone number of the Headteacher, Madam Theresa Frimpong-Manso

I hope at least one of you will call and verify the story first and be sure if you want to help.

I really pray you do help these kids and their very creative head mistress.

The school is Omenako, not Omenase...:D

i am on board, can i have her #? as an old time Neoplan driver, i know the place.

I have sent those who say they are in the telephone number of the Headteacher, Madam Theresa Frimpong-Manso

I hope at least one of you will call and verify the story first and be sure if you want to help.

I really pray you do help these kids and their very creative head mistress.

The school is Omenako, not Omenase... :D

jeezz Paddy!

You got the name wrong? :P

Abaaa.

Anyway, I am sure one of those kids would correct you if you show up with a plaque that has an incorrect name on it. :smilie_laugh:

Ladies and Gentlemen, if you give me you word, I shall take a trip to Omenase this weekend. Probably, I will take sleeque along to assess the extent of need. I will bring picture and video evidence.

That will be my part. For now.

Some questions.

We need someone to collect the funds and 'keep/invest' till we are ready to disburse

We need someone to set the ground rules for donation and disbursement - we dont want to give anyone the reason to collapse the forum

Thank God Confused is ready to help with the accounting

what else?

Doesn't someone have to collect the money, before it gets audited?

Who is collecting in Ghana?

I will arrange to have mine dropped off.

Bula Matali

Bula,

Here it goes....

Paddy,

Good Idea Hipic,

that is doing something worthwhile, other peeps seeing it and following the example

dont bash your own head its not a good idea ..

:cheekkiss:

I was just pre-empting Angel.

You know how she is, when she gets her hand on a mallet. :afro: