outdooring

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sunflower

sunflower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:singing in my local choir, bellydancing, meeting people from all over the world, hiking, photography

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:52 PM

So what exactly is an outdooring? Sounds funny.

#2 awuraaama

awuraaama

Matali 4 Dessert

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,355 posts
  • Interests:Walking, Cooking, Writing, Designing, Music, Sex,

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:53 PM

So what exactly is an outdooring? Sounds funny.

Sunflower, Naming and Outdooring ceremonies is celebrated in most Ghanaian communities. It is called a naming ceremony because it is the first day the child is given a name and it is also called an outdooring ceremony because it is the first time the child is taken out of doors.

Different ethnic groups have different names for naming and outdooring ceremonies. Among the Akans, it is known as Abadinto, In some communities, the baby is not taken out for some days when it is born.

On the day of the naming ceremony, your head of family takes the child unto his laps and both the water and the schnapp is poured into separate glasses and he then dips his finger into the schnapp and then mentions the baby name, he says .... when you see schnapp say is schnapp, goes through the same process with the water, this i think is done to signify truth, meaning the child should grow up to tell the truth. etc

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Men should be like Kleenex, soft, strong and disposable

#3 Ewiase

Ewiase

Been There Done That Retired

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:12 PM

i think there has been a thread on this topic before and i pray bula or
who ever can to check it for us.
neke gyen ne yoo?

saa ena Ewiase etee?

is this how the world is?

if a lie takes the lift and the truth the stairs, the lie will be faster, but the truth will get there too.

#4 Guest_This might just do..........._*

Guest_This might just do..........._*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:16 PM

http://www.ghanacomm...5&hl=outdooring" target="_blank">http://www.ghanacomm...5&hl=outdooring

#5 zulughana

zulughana

Soul Searcher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts
  • Interests:Chess, IT, Hacking, Photography, Meeting People, Sharing, Travelling

Posted 12 November 2005 - 07:54 PM

am i right to say that the whole meanig of Outdooring has dramatically changed.

it seems to me that most parents now have outdoorings as a means of getting money...

you now have announcements being made every 30 minutes to remind guest that "kodjo" is sittting

in the far corner with his pen and paper ready to take your donation....

Edited by zulughana, 12 November 2005 - 07:54 PM.

Adventurous, Argumentative, Artistic, Easygoing, Eccentric, NON-Flirtatious, Free-Spirited, Friendly, High Energy, Humorous, Intellectual, Logical, Low Maintenance, Open-Minded, Playful, Practical, Responsible, Self Confident, Serious, Sophisticated, Spiritual, Spontaneous, Unconventional and Wild.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users