• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Nyakoa

Nyakoa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:01 PM

Do any of you happen to know the list of items a man is supposed to present to his bride's family when getting engaged. That is, Ghanaian engagement. Im asking out of curiosity.

#2 hipic_junction

hipic_junction

Mr Cool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,541 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list.

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:46 PM

I know someone who completed the process a few weeks ago. I didn't ask about all the details.
Life is like an onion
You peel it off layer by layer
And sometimes you cry.

#3 thinfox

thinfox

Advanced Member

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:19 AM

Do any of you happen to know the list of items a man is supposed to present to his bride's family when getting engaged. That is, Ghanaian engagement. Im asking out of curiosity.

traditionally, that's marriage. in today's world, the man must perform the traditional marriage then follow that up with a wedding. some of the things you need: garment, schnapp, money - lots of money.
there's no place like 127.0.0.1

#4 Ewiase

Ewiase

Been There Done That Retired

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:04 AM

engagement in Akan is kokooko, if i am right and customarily, i think you only need two bottles schnapps.
neke gyen ne yoo?

saa ena Ewiase etee?

is this how the world is?

if a lie takes the lift and the truth the stairs, the lie will be faster, but the truth will get there too.

#5 Moby Dick

Moby Dick

Super Freak

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,497 posts
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:56 AM

I WILL COME OUT WITH MY LIST SOON.

BY THE WAY, DO WANT A LIST FOR BEFORE/AFTER HAVING A CHILD WITH THE WOMAN :D
People think i'm shy because i don't talk or participate too much in conversations. The truth is i don't really give a fuck what they're talking about.

#6 lisa

lisa

Posting on contract only

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:16 AM

Its different between Engagement and Knocking.

Knocking is just the two drinks and money and even with that one it depends on the tribe u come frome.

Engagement is a whole lot, also depending on the tribe u come from that will determine the things that must be bought.

will be back............. :dancefool:
its not the men in my life that counts, its the life in my men.

#7 Moby Dick

Moby Dick

Super Freak

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,497 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:36 PM

will be back.............

HMMM, YOU WILL BE BACK WITH WHAT YOU AND YOUR PEOPLE INCLUDING BULA DEMANDED FROM ME, RIGHT!!! :whistling: :whistling:
People think i'm shy because i don't talk or participate too much in conversations. The truth is i don't really give a fuck what they're talking about.

#8 zulughana

zulughana

Soul Searcher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,095 posts
  • Interests:Chess, IT, Hacking, Photography, Meeting People, Sharing, Travelling

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:48 PM

HMMM, YOU WILL BE BACK WITH WHAT YOU AND YOUR PEOPLE INCLUDING BULA DEMANDED FROM ME, RIGHT!!! :whistling: :whistling:

easy buster...

the Lady said she will be back..... B)

Adventurous, Argumentative, Artistic, Easygoing, Eccentric, NON-Flirtatious, Free-Spirited, Friendly, High Energy, Humorous, Intellectual, Logical, Low Maintenance, Open-Minded, Playful, Practical, Responsible, Self Confident, Serious, Sophisticated, Spiritual, Spontaneous, Unconventional and Wild.

Posted Image

#9 hipic_junction

hipic_junction

Mr Cool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,541 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:59 PM

engagement in Akan is kokooko, if i am right and customarily, i think you only need two bottles schnapps.

You are technically right, except you cast some doubt by throwing the phrase, 'if I am right' in there.

Be bold on this one. You have not made a blanket statement here. You only spoke on the issue with respect to Akans. While we do not have engagement, as the whole affair has been diluted with many external influences, what you described is on target.

In this first stage, the young man serves notice to the girl's father (family), that he would like to officially 'see' the lady in question. From that day forward, if Akos is temporarily absent under questionable circumstances, someone may ask if perhaps Kobina Atta has her.

There is no chop-box, suit-case, or portmanteaux involved here.
Just the basics mentioned here by Ewiase, along with perhaps some fee (a token amount).
Life is like an onion
And sometimes you cry.

#10 Moby Dick

Moby Dick

Super Freak

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,497 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:04 PM

easy buster...

the Lady said she will be back..... B)

OK WE WAIT, PARTNER. :P :D

#11 hipic_junction

hipic_junction

Mr Cool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,541 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:09 PM

Dear Lord!

Moby,
Do you have a BEFORE list? :o
Among the Akans, one is supposed to do this before he gets the woman pregnant. No special presentation is allowed while the woman is pregnant, especially if it is visible. If it is not visible, that is different. In fact if it is visible the family may reject the offer, pending the delivery of the child. That is what I have heard.

Can someone confirm this?

Of course, it does not stop the father from kicking your ass for foraying into his domain.
Life is like an onion
And sometimes you cry.

#12 zulughana

zulughana

Soul Searcher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,095 posts
  • Interests:Chess, IT, Hacking, Photography, Meeting People, Sharing, Travelling

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:12 PM

Dear Lord!

Moby,
Do you have a BEFORE list? :o
Among the Akans, one is supposed to do this before he gets the woman pregnant. No special presentation is allowed while the woman is pregnant, especially if it is visible. If it is not visible, that is different. In fact if it is visible the family may reject the offer, pending the delivery of the child. That is what I have heard.

Can someone confirm this?

Of course, it does not stop the father from kicking your ass for foraying into his domain.

i seem to remember vaguely that there is something like a "before list"...

not that they call it that....

its more to do with the advantage taken and the inconveniece caused

then again i am not too sure

Adventurous, Argumentative, Artistic, Easygoing, Eccentric, NON-Flirtatious, Free-Spirited, Friendly, High Energy, Humorous, Intellectual, Logical, Low Maintenance, Open-Minded, Playful, Practical, Responsible, Self Confident, Serious, Sophisticated, Spiritual, Spontaneous, Unconventional and Wild.

Posted Image

#13 hipic_junction

hipic_junction

Mr Cool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,541 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:21 PM

Zulu,
Thanks for the info.
Looks like Moby is on top of things then.

So, foraying has consequences, huh? :D
Life is like an onion
And sometimes you cry.

#14 zulughana

zulughana

Soul Searcher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,095 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:42 PM

Zulu,
Thanks for the info.
Looks like Moby is on top of things then.

So, foraying has consequences, huh? :D

Moby is a Player..... :D

Posted Image

#15 Ewiase

Ewiase

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:04 AM

honestly speaking there is no difference between kokooko and engagement, it is the same thing and there is no list.
neke gyen ne yoo?

saa ena Ewiase etee?

if a lie takes the lift and the truth the stairs, the lie will be faster, but the truth will get there too.

#16 Bula Matali

Bula Matali

Retired Coochi Popper

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,436 posts
  • Interests:Photography
    Cars
    Sex and Relationships,
    Religion,
    Psychology and the paranormal
    Ghanaian Development

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:15 AM

Each tribe has its typical list of requirements. Becos of greed, now families make up their own lists.

By Ghanaian customs, the knocking is our definition of a marriage. Once U do the knocking, U are customarily married. ( none of this - I give you your engagement ring back, we have broken our engagement. When U decide to disolve the marriage, the woman must go to her parents and ask them to take the man's things back to him. If it's the man who decides he wants the relationship to end, he must take the woman back to her parents and tell them the reason why he is leaving and ask for his things back.)

Moby is correct. If U do the knocking BEFORE you make the woman pregnant, there is a different list of items.

If U do it AFTER you make the girl pregnant, first U have to appease the parents and beg their forgiveness with some items then u go into the process of asking for the woman in marriage = knocking.
"Sometimes the best form of Leadership is Dictatorship" - written by Our famous CONFUSED
Posted Image

#17 hipic_junction

hipic_junction

Mr Cool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,541 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:34 PM

Okay...it looks like the whole palaver has been clarified. There are two kinds:

1. The doing before list.
2. The doing after list.

Now some of us will wait patiently for Moby to produce his list.

I feel like getting someone pregnant. :unsure:
What am I saying? :blink:

I better check the list first, before I go groping.
Life is like an onion
And sometimes you cry.

#18 BlueHue

BlueHue

Something Blue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,764 posts
  • Interests:The avid persuit of happiness, Peace of mind, calm determination of spirit
  • Mood:Good

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:52 PM

Hipic ...,

You seem to be in good form today. How are you and what are you up tp these days?

Do you really want to make a baby with just anyone? Are you bored or something?
[img]http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:VgVliM_8AO_9nM:http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x150/seeramaiste1/JessicaRabbit.jpg[/img] I am surrounded by the hue of blue which keeps me whole.

#19 Bula Matali

Bula Matali

Retired Coochi Popper

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,436 posts
  • Interests:Photography
    Cars
    Sex and Relationships,
    Religion,
    Psychology and the paranormal
    Ghanaian Development

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:14 PM

Does Eve know about Hipic's baby-making desires ?
"Sometimes the best form of Leadership is Dictatorship" - written by Our famous CONFUSED
Posted Image

#20 Nyakoa

Nyakoa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:45 PM

I thought the knocking came before the engagement.

#21 hipic_junction

hipic_junction

Mr Cool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,541 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:01 PM

I thought the knocking came before the engagement.

Nyakoa,

Please inform your father that I will be coming over with Ewiase and a handful of other elders, to speak to him.

As I recall, you were the one challenging my younger brother Moby, in another section of this forum. We are still waiting for his list, in order that we may give him the appropriate advice. We will then come over without any further delay.

Mbro, did I state our case correctly? :unsure:
Life is like an onion
And sometimes you cry.

#22 BlueHue

BlueHue

Something Blue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,764 posts
  • Interests:The avid persuit of happiness, Peace of mind, calm determination of spirit
  • Mood:Good

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:16 PM

Knocking is when just a handful of the man family come over to iintroduce themselves to the lady's family and discuss their intentions.

KNOCKING is really INTRODUCTION.

When formalities are over and and both sides are introduced the mans family will then declare their intention and formally ask the hand of the lady.

If the Lady's family are ok with the idea and accept the guy, they then accept the schnapps and whatever other drink is brought and a date is set for the proper engagement which is really the traditional marriage.

Every tribe have their own list of requirements from the mans family which is really the dowry.

On the appointed day, the grooms family once again go over to the brides family carrying their dowry and present them.

During the exchange each side have their spokesperson and there is friendly banter and general hillarity.

After the presentation there is a big party which is hosted by the brides father. Depending on his pocket it can be a lavish affair carrying on into the night or over several days or small refreshments with a few people.

I love these things and the Nigerians once are really lavish and very beautiful, they are called wine carrying ceremonies.

I love weddings, engagements and parties!!

Out of curiosity, what tribe could the female be from and we can box and cox a list of dowry items.

Edited by BlueHue, 19 February 2007 - 05:18 PM.

[img]http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:VgVliM_8AO_9nM:http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x150/seeramaiste1/JessicaRabbit.jpg[/img] I am surrounded by the hue of blue which keeps me whole.

#23 hipic_junction

hipic_junction

Mr Cool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,541 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:30 PM

From what little I know, I'd say Akan.

Or, could it be Ga, or Nzema?
Life is like an onion
And sometimes you cry.

#24 Ewiase

Ewiase

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:30 PM

once again, kokooko in Akan is engagement and oko ye ne ho adee is marriage.
neke gyen ne yoo?

saa ena Ewiase etee?

#25 Nyakoa

Nyakoa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

The bride is ga i suppose.(her dad is ga and her mum is ewe)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users