Sex and Relationships,
    Religion,
    Psychology and the paranormal
    Ghanaian Development

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:29 AM

http://www.ghanaweb....l.php?ID=124290

Gay Prostitutes Invade Accra

Adabraka, Tesano, Paloma and Osu - hotspots
Some part of the capital city have in recent times become conducive for the practice of gay prostitution, a new lucrative but illegal business venture emerging in the country. The Gye Nyame Concord newspaper has gathered that the homosexuals have earmarked areas in the capital city notably, Adabraka, Tesano, Paloma and its environs, parts of Osu among others as ‘business centres’ where they pick partners and pay them huge sums of money after sexual services. The

Gye Nyame Concord can therefore reveal that not only females engage in the practice of prostitution, but also their male counterparts have resolved to join them in this illegal business. The Gye Nyame Concord made this discovery when this reporter made a follow up to ascertain the authenticity of speculations of gay prostitution in the aforementioned areas. It was against this back drop that he posed as a customer to patronize the services rendered by these homosexual prostitutes.

It was observed at all these places that rich, sex hungry homosexuals who ride flashy cars such as Acuras, Rextons, Toyota Prados, BMW, X-5s, Escalades, Mercedes Benzs, Jaguars among others, go for the male prostitutes mostly energetic men between the ages of 18 and 22 and take them to nearby guest houses and enjoy them. The Gye Nyame Concord learnt that some of these guest houses and lodges also give out their rooms to the prostitutes for their ‘business activities’ and demand monthly payments from them. Investigations conducted revealed that weekends and public holidays are the busiest times for the business, normally between the hours of 8 and 9pm.

The investigations further revealed that sex fees are charged depending on the type of se service the customer prefers - thus romance and oral sex, anal sex or both. The price tax for romance and oral sex is ˘800,000 cedis and sex goes for 1,000,000 whereas both services cost 1,500,000 cedis. It was also discovered that most of the gay prostitutes who were lured into interviews confirmed they are former students of popular and renowned male schools in the country.

One of the prostitutes, who gave his name as Ernest Nana Ntiamoah, 20 years, told this paper that he got addicted to the act during his school days. He said he is into gay prostitution to raise funds for his upkeep because his parents abandoned him when they realized he was gay. He pointed out that he had no option to financial freedom than to engage in the practice of gay prostitution which he noted has helped him rent a room in the past eight months for a temporal stay and hopes to resettle when the need arises.

This paper also found out that male foreigners who visit Ghana in the name tourism are no exception to those who patronize gay prostitutes just to say they pay for services rendered to them in hard foreign currency. In a telephone interview with the Gye Nyame Concord, the President of the Pentecostal Church of Ghana, Apostle Dr. Michael Ntumy expressed shock at the practice and described the act as an unfortunate one, stating that it should be condemned immediately. According to the Man of God, gay prostitution is an act that should not eat into the social fabric of Ghanaian life due to the fact that Ghana has got good moral values hence the need to eliminate this negative canker from the country.

"Sometimes the best form of Leadership is Dictatorship" - written by Our famous CONFUSED
Posted Image

#2 Cybria

Cybria

Starving Artist

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:50 AM

Bula, how you doing? :) Please don't be suprised. Everything spreads everywhere.

#3 Bula Matali

Bula Matali

Retired Coochi Popper

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,447 posts
  • Interests:Photography
    Cars
    Sex and Relationships,
    Religion,
    Ghanaian Development

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:58 AM

I am not surprised. I predicted it would happen. It comes with "expanding tourism and foreign investment". The foreigners will come and invest in your youth !!!

How are U ?

It's the bible-bashing Ghanaians who can't get their heads round the fact that homosexuality is here to stay who amuse me.

Edited by Bula Matali, 21 May 2007 - 10:59 AM.

"Sometimes the best form of Leadership is Dictatorship" - written by Our famous CONFUSED
Posted Image

#4 Cybria

Cybria

Starving Artist

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:08 AM

I am not surprised. I predicted it would happen. It comes with "expanding tourism and foreign investment". The foreigners will come and invest in your youth !!!

How are U ?

It's the bible-bashing Ghanaians who can't get their heads round the fact that homosexuality is here to stay who amuse me.

I'm good...sleepy tho. Just came around to see how everyone is doing.
Q: Is prostitution in Ghana actually illegal? Or is that just what it says on paper? I've read about prostitution in Ghana more than once and it don't look like the gov't does much about it.

#5 Bula Matali

Bula Matali

Retired Coochi Popper

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,447 posts
    Cars
    Sex and Relationships,
    Religion,
    Ghanaian Development

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:25 AM

In actual fact the current Ghana law does not make prostitution a crime. It is soliciting which is identified in our laws as a crime. Yet the police periodically use the concept of prostitution as a criminal offence in itself, to raid bars and residences and put the alleged offenders before courts.

there will probably be different laws for homosexual prostitution.

Taken from this page http://www.ghanaids....sp?story_id=115

Prostitution Debate in Danger-It Is About Decriminalisation and Not Legalisation-Prof.F. T Sai, Presidential Advisor on HIV/AIDS and Reproductive Health
Communications Officer- 5/3/2005

Joining the debate on the De-criminalization of Prostitution in Ghana.
Prof. Fred Sai, Adviser: Ghana AIDS Commission

A national debate seems to be raging on the issue of prostitution in Ghana. The debate is in danger of being derailed because the statement of Prof. S. A. Amoa, the Director General of the Ghana AIDS Commission (GAC), on the subject is being misunderstood. Additionally, it is being misquoted in several sections of our media. The DG did not call for legalization of prostitution. He called for a possible decriminalization.

Decriminalization and legalization are not the same. The first means no offence is committed when consenting adults perform the act in question, and no sanctions are authorized by law in this case. Adultery is a case in point; no one is harassed by the police, or brought to court for it. Legalization or criminalization means the state machinery for enforcement is put in place, and sanctions exacted for non-compliance. In actual fact the current Ghana law does not make prostitution a crime. It is soliciting which is identified in our laws as a crime. Yet the police periodically use the concept of prostitution as a criminal offence in itself, to raid bars and residences and put the alleged offenders before courts.

It is unfortunate that many of the speakers and commentators on the subject have chosen to deal with legalization. Giving one’s body to another person, whether for love or for money, for promotion at work or for any other favour, is first and foremost a moral issue. There is much world history to tell us that it is difficult, if not impossible to legislate morality. The “Prohibition” in the USA is a classic example of the failure of the law to deal with a basically moral question. Once the selling and drinking of alcohol was decriminalized, controls could be put in place and many crimes associated with criminalizing alcohol disappeared. The old laws against homosexuality are another example. Recent history is full of cases of homosexuals being tormented, blackmailed, and even made to betray their countries. The story of Oscar Wilde is one such well known example.

Such laws seriously challenge the ethical right to autonomy. In fact it is the existence of the laws that make the practitioners of the trade such easy prey to all kinds of criminals; pimps, rapists, protection rackets, trafficking etc. Cases of policemen taking advantage of the poor prostitutes have been documented in all countries with criminal laws on prostitution. Punishing alleged offenders, even before they are put before the courts is not uncommon. At times the police would raid on Thursday night, lock up the victims, take Friday preparing the dockets and put them before courts or release them on Monday. They have been jailed for the whole weekend

The GAC has had occasion to approach the IGP and complain about the use of possession of condoms as evidence of prostitution. The Commission could not stand by and watch a group being prosecuted for taking the very precaution advised for all of the population who might be engaged in unsafe sex. The Commission is supporting programmes to help the women engaged in this trade; firstly, to be able to access proper medical care, both preventive and therapeutic and secondly, and perhaps most importantly, to help them exit the trade. Restrictive laws make such programmes very difficult to undertake and to evaluate. They also make it difficult to get at the background causes and reasons why some women resort to this activity, and the ways in which they operate.

Some who have studied the subject would divide the women in this activity into two groups: roamers and sitters. The terms are self-explanatory. But other ways of dividing the sex workers are possible if one includes all those who engage in transactional sex for any reason. In this case we have full timers and part-timers. Those who work at some recognized trade and sell sex to make up, those who stay respectably at home and use the phone or other means of attracting clients and those who would only go with a class of client e.g. tourists or foreign visitors, are all included. The true stories of why some resort to this trade could be painful. We have the poor women, ill-educated, trading sex to look after children abandoned by the fathers; the orphaned school girl “week-ending” to make enough to go through the week; and many others. Everything considered a sympathetic approach to the practitioners rather than disdain or contempt is what should motivate the dialogue or debate.

There is much factual evidence of the benefits to both society and the individuals involved in the sex trade when it is decriminalized. Regulations can be introduced which ensure the maintenance of health, both for the prostitute and for the clients. The fact that the level of infections in our prostitutes is so high should make us eager to bring them under some kind of systematic health surveillance, which cannot be truly achieved with the laws and efforts at their implementation, as they are today.

Amazingly the most vocal groups arguing against what they perceive as a clamour for legalization are some religious bodies and groups of well-educated women. It must be accepted and even emphasized that both sides of this debate are concerned about attaining some or all of the following very laudable ends:

a) how to minimize prostitution,
B) how to prevent those who would go into this unfortunate area from having health problems which could be prevented,
c) how to provide treatment under the best possible circumstances when such treatment is needed and help minimize the spread of diseases into the general population
d) how to prevent women in this situation from becoming an underclass, subject to the indignities and abuse of predators
e) how to provide protection from discrimination, as demanded by our Constitution for all Ghanaians
f) If possible how to extricate as many as possible from the situation.

Unfortunately many talking against “legalization” are talking from belief or faith and not from evidence which has been carefully collected using social science methods, or the experience of other nations. There is nothing peculiarly Ghanaian about prostitution which has been described as the first profession. None of the concerns given above can be helped by criminal codes of any kind. Without the criminal element, many of the unfortunate women will be able to stand up against predators, they could take better care of their health and they would be more amenable to helpful efforts for exit.

The examples of Thailand and Senegal need to be studied for what they have achieved in HIV prevention and control. With commercial sex work not criminally sanctioned, Thailand has been able to insist on condom use by all within the “massage houses”, euphemism for brothels. The “trade” is able to control itself. And the low HIV rates among Thai sex workers today contrasts sharply with the high levels in countries where the criminal laws intervene. Our own 75-80% or more among sex workers in Accra and Kumasi should be a warning to us. Senegal has organized the “professionals” and registered them. They are examined monthly and issued with a health certificate. It is when practicing without a certificate that one may confront the health authorities.

There is in existence in Ghana a competent study of this subject, done by Dr. Mrs. Matilda Pappoe. Her work with sex-workers both at home and on the international front has been thorough and well researched. So far, she has not spoken a word. I hope she will decide to join in the discussion, and give us the facts.

Despite what we generally believe in this country too, there are male prostitutes, men who have sex with men. No one touches them. This is not a new phenomenon. I have known of the existence of such activity since I started my medical practice in this country in 1954. A recent study sponsored by the GAC confirms the existence of such males and gives us pointers as to how to help them prevent infection.

The criminal law against prostitution is, in my view, against the constitution on two grounds. It is against the individual’s autonomy, and it is discriminatory since in its implementation only women are penalized. The most upsetting part of all this is the way the male clients are not even given any thought in the discussions. Let’s discuss this subject by all means. But my hope is that the discussion will be toward our finding practical ways to help those unfortunate Ghanaians, especially deprived and vulnerable women and girls who find themselves coerced by circumstances or individuals, or misadvised by persons they trusted to follow this unfortunate “trade”

Posted Image

#6 Bula Matali

Bula Matali

Retired Coochi Popper

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,447 posts
    Cars
    Sex and Relationships,
    Religion,
    Ghanaian Development

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:29 AM

While prostitution itself is not illegal in Ghana, soliciting is. But although commercial sex work is not officially recognised in Ghana, the 1994 Constitution ensures that the human rights of any prostitute arrested is fully protected -- they are to be produced before a court or released on bail within 48 hours.

Under Ghana's Criminal Code of 1960, soliciting can attract a jail term of between six months and three years. Officially, prostitution is punishable by a fine of 50 cedi (one US dollar=2,325 cedi). But as the fine has not been reviewed for more than 30 years, many courts use their discretion.

taken from http://www.walnet.or...ips-980806.html
Posted Image

#7 Ewiase

Ewiase

Been There Done That Retired

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:20 PM

While prostitution itself is not illegal in Ghana, soliciting is. But although commercial sex work is not officially recognised in Ghana, the 1994 Constitution ensures that the human rights of any prostitute arrested is fully protected -- they are to be produced before a court or released on bail within 48 hours.

Under Ghana's Criminal Code of 1960, soliciting can attract a jail term of between six months and three years. Officially, prostitution is punishable by a fine of 50 cedi (one US dollar=2,325 cedi). But as the fine has not been reviewed for more than 30 years, many courts use their discretion.

taken from http://www.walnet.or...ips-980806.html

Monday, May 21, 2007

1 US Dollar = 9,636.30 Ghanaian Cedi
1 Ghanaian Cedi (GHC) = 0.0001038 US Dollar (USD)
neke gyen ne yoo?

saa ena Ewiase etee?

is this how the world is?

if a lie takes the lift and the truth the stairs, the lie will be faster, but the truth will get there too.

#8 Cybria

Cybria

Starving Artist

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:51 AM

Thanks, I was really wondering about that.

#9 ReggaeDancer

ReggaeDancer

Advanced Member

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,929 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, hiking, biking, etc.

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:41 PM

My husband knew a guy in Accra who was married with several children who always prostituted himself to foreign men. My husband said the man had a nice house and cars and money. My husband said he could never ever permit anyone to do that to him no matter how poor or hungry he was.
"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation." -Plato

"A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones ..."

#10 Ewiase

Ewiase

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:47 PM

My husband knew a guy in Accra who was married with several children who always prostituted himself to foreign men. My husband said the man had a nice house and cars and money. My husband said he could never ever permit anyone to do that to him no matter how poor or hungry he was.

did Zulu tell you that?
neke gyen ne yoo?

saa ena Ewiase etee?

if a lie takes the lift and the truth the stairs, the lie will be faster, but the truth will get there too.

#11 zulughana

zulughana

Soul Searcher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,113 posts
  • Interests:Chess, IT, Hacking, Photography, Meeting People, Sharing, Travelling

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:39 PM

did Zulu tell you that?

ha...trust Ewiase to put his mouth into it...

anyway, i think gay prostitution should be advertised in a big healthy way in Ghana...

Adventurous, Argumentative, Artistic, Easygoing, Eccentric, NON-Flirtatious, Free-Spirited, Friendly, High Energy, Humorous, Intellectual, Logical, Low Maintenance, Open-Minded, Playful, Practical, Responsible, Self Confident, Serious, Sophisticated, Spiritual, Spontaneous, Unconventional and Wild.

Posted Image

#12 babydoll1

babydoll1

Welcome to fight club

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts
  • Interests:writting, walking, travelling, sex if i have a partner, competitive sports;i.e. netball and go kart racing

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:22 AM

zulu why? any particular reason? i'm only asking since you haven't applied it generally to prostitution of all kinds.

i'm very wary of Ghanaian tabloid reports these days, apart that one brief mention of an apparent prostitute, there are no real hard facts, just speculations, so i it sound s like a column paper filler to me.
IF YOU HAVE TO EAT A FROG DONT STARE AT IT TOO LONG. IF YOU HAVE TO EAT TWO EAT THE BIG ONE FIRST.

#13 ReggaeDancer

ReggaeDancer

Advanced Member

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,929 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, hiking, biking, etc.

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:08 PM

did Zulu tell you that?

LOL no, Zulu didn't, Dada Kofi did.
"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation." -Plato

"A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones ..."

#14 Ewiase

Ewiase

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:34 PM

did Zulu tell you that?

i thought you got married to Zulu. btw, who is Dada Kofi? are you Mama Akua? :smilie_laugh:
neke gyen ne yoo?

saa ena Ewiase etee?

#15 zulughana

zulughana

Soul Searcher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,113 posts
  • Interests:Chess, IT, Hacking, Photography, Meeting People, Sharing, Travelling

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:59 AM

did Zulu tell you that?

i thought you got married to Zulu. btw, who is Dada Kofi? are you Mama Akua? :smilie_laugh:

Ewiase, pay attention... :D

Adventurous, Argumentative, Artistic, Easygoing, Eccentric, NON-Flirtatious, Free-Spirited, Friendly, High Energy, Humorous, Intellectual, Logical, Low Maintenance, Open-Minded, Playful, Practical, Responsible, Self Confident, Serious, Sophisticated, Spiritual, Spontaneous, Unconventional and Wild.

Posted Image

#16 zulughana

zulughana

Soul Searcher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,113 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:02 AM

zulu why? any particular reason? i'm only asking since you haven't applied it generally to prostitution of all kinds.

i'm very wary of Ghanaian tabloid reports these days, apart that one brief mention of an apparent prostitute, there are no real hard facts, just speculations, so i it sound s like a column paper filler to me.

its just because everyone [well most people] in Ghana has this negative notion of what being guy is a taboo...

let alone, being a guy prostitute...

Posted Image

#17 Moby Dick

Moby Dick

Super Freak

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,500 posts
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:40 AM

So, what is wrong with this gay prostitution all about?

If the state thinks its illegal they should go after them.

I HATE GHANAIAN TABLOIDS

Edited by PREKESE, 25 May 2007 - 09:40 AM.

People think i'm shy because i don't talk or participate too much in conversations. The truth is i don't really give a fuck what they're talking about.

#18 awuraaama

awuraaama

Matali 4 Dessert

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,355 posts
  • Interests:Walking, Cooking, Writing, Designing, Music, Sex,

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:33 AM

My step brother i didnt even know exist is in prison at Nsawan, his crime is he is gay and got a boyfriend but the guy family are J. Witness i think and they felt it a disgrace so they reported him to police and he got arrested of raping his bf.

Took him to court and without even asking from his side, the judge sentence him to 10 yrs hard labour, he being there for 2 yrs trying to appeal.

I feel sorry for him.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Men should be like Kleenex, soft, strong and disposable

#19 zulughana

zulughana

Soul Searcher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,113 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:43 PM

My step brother i didnt even know exist is in prison at Nsawan, his crime is he is gay and got a boyfriend but the guy family are J. Witness i think and they felt it a disgrace so they reported him to police and he got arrested of raping his bf.

Took him to court and without even asking from his side, the judge sentence him to 10 yrs hard labour, he being there for 2 yrs trying to appeal.

I feel sorry for him.

you should be fighting for his release....

Posted Image

#20 awuraaama

awuraaama

Matali 4 Dessert

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,355 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:47 PM

I feel sorry for him.

you should be fighting for his release....

FROM WHERE GHANA JUSTICE SYSTEM, FORGET IT EVEN AS AT NOW THE APPEAL HASNT EVEN GONE THROUGH FOR THE PAST TWO YEARS

#21 Bula Matali

Bula Matali

Retired Coochi Popper

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,447 posts
    Cars
    Sex and Relationships,
    Religion,
    Ghanaian Development

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:47 PM

I feel sorry for him.

It's situations like this that make U realise we are still very backward....
Posted Image

#22 awuraaama

awuraaama

Matali 4 Dessert

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,355 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:57 PM

I feel sorry for him.

It's situations like this that make U realise we are still very backward....

Yep and they are always looking for a scape goat

#23 Cybria

Cybria

Starving Artist

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:10 AM

I feel sorry for him.

That's cold-hearted.

#24 lisa

lisa

Posting on contract only

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:18 PM

Oh! that is really sad.
10yrs is even just too much, and what proof do they hv to show that it is a rape?
its not the men in my life that counts, its the life in my men.

#25 awuraaama

awuraaama

Matali 4 Dessert

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,355 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:31 PM

Oh! that is really sad.
10yrs is even just too much, and what proof do they hv to show that it is a rape?

Hmmmmm according to my dad they did not even ask him what he is pleading, just wish him luck for the appeal if it will come though.

By the way Lisa your phone is always off please pm me if u change it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users