Photo

What`s about a traditional marriage in Ghana ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Kalunga

Kalunga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:14 AM

Dear Ghanaians ! Since I would like to marry a girl from Ghana but might be fooled by a scammer I need some info on traditional marriages in Ghana. I have been told that I have to pay the bride`s price ( about 1000,- new Ghana cedis) to the parents of the girl and then this is about it, no ceremony happens after that. For me it is hard to believe that there is no traditional ceremony. And then she wants me to pay her wedding dress in advance, she asked me for 470,- new Ghana cedis. It is also hard to believe for me that a dress is so expensive when I consider the low wages in Ghana. After the official marriage at the registrar general she wants a wedding party and asked me for 4700,- new Ghana cedis for that, which I refused to accept. I am not that rich to pay for so much luxury.
I would be very thankful for any information before it is too late ! It looks like she is looking for a ticket to Europe !?
Yours

Kalunga

#2 Bula Matali

Bula Matali

Retired Coochi Popper

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,446 posts
  • Interests:Photography
    Cars
    Sex and Relationships,
    Religion,
    Psychology and the paranormal
    Ghanaian Development

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:33 AM

the topic has been discussed before try http://www.ghanacomm...tional marriage

At a traditional ghanaian marriage there is always a ceremony...
"Sometimes the best form of Leadership is Dictatorship" - written by Our famous CONFUSED
Posted Image

#3 Ewiase

Ewiase

Been There Done That Retired

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:58 AM

he/she is not looking for a ticket for Europe, this is purely sakawa.

he/she is thinking of buying another car or looking forward to complete his/her house with your money.

go to this site http://groups.yahoo..../anti-scammers/ and you may come to thank this forum.
neke gyen ne yoo?

saa ena Ewiase etee?

is this how the world is?

if a lie takes the lift and the truth the stairs, the lie will be faster, but the truth will get there too.

#4 Kalunga

Kalunga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:47 PM

he/she is thinking of buying another car or looking forward to complete his/her house with your money.

go to this site http://groups.yahoo..../anti-scammers/ and you may come to thank this forum.

Thank You for your advice, I have realized she is a scammer and I have learned a lot now. I appreciate the help of this forum a lot, thanks again !

Kalunga

#5 awuraaama

awuraaama

Matali 4 Dessert

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,355 posts
  • Interests:Walking, Cooking, Writing, Designing, Music, Sex,

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:46 AM

Thank You for your advice, I have realized she is a scammer and I have learned a lot now. I appreciate the help of this forum a lot, thanks again !

Kalunga

Have you met her??

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Men should be like Kleenex, soft, strong and disposable

#6 Bula Matali

Bula Matali

Retired Coochi Popper

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,446 posts
    Cars
    Sex and Relationships,
    Religion,
    Ghanaian Development

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:05 AM

Kalunga,

How did U meet this wonderful girl and how did the romance start ? When did U get to discussing marriage and who raised the topic ?

Who else in her circle have U met ? Friends, Family, hang outs ?

Edited by Bula Matali, 31 October 2008 - 11:05 AM.

"Sometimes the best form of Leadership is Dictatorship" - written by Our famous CONFUSED
Posted Image

#7 Ewiase

Ewiase

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:46 PM

Have you met her??

he said somewhere that he met her during his last visit.

Ama, start reading Allan Pease's Body Language.
neke gyen ne yoo?

saa ena Ewiase etee?

if a lie takes the lift and the truth the stairs, the lie will be faster, but the truth will get there too.

#8 Kalunga

Kalunga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:04 PM

Kalunga,

How did U meet this wonderful girl and how did the romance start ? When did U get to discussing marriage and who raised the topic ?

Who else in her circle have U met ? Friends, Family, hang outs ?

As I said before I met her on afrointroductions.com and we chatted regularly. After some time she asked me to send her money for the first time but I refused to do so. She accepted this and we kept on chatting several times a week. Then I decided to take the risk and I visited her in Accra last december. We stayed in a guesthouse and had a good time. I also met her mother, her cousin and some friends which seemed to be nice people. One day she told me that she wants to marry me and live with me in Germany.
When I was back in Germany I wanted to invite her for three months so she can see how I live and that Germany is not paradise. But the German embassy denied her visa and she was very very sad. I told her we will find a way and we planned to marry this december in Accra. In order to get a visa for Germany she need to learn German and that`s how the story started.
Of course I am very disappointed now because I would have enjoyed to live with an African woman. But we cannot always have what we want.

Kalunga

#9 Ewiase

Ewiase

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:04 PM

Kalunga, from your story, it is not a lost cause. you can still marry her and if the will is there, help her learn the language and join you.
neke gyen ne yoo?

saa ena Ewiase etee?

#10 Kalunga

Kalunga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:27 PM

Kalunga, from your story, it is not a lost cause. you can still marry her and if the will is there, help her learn the language and join you.

I intend to do that but still I would very much like to know how much a wedding dress would cost. To be honest I don`t want to work hard for weeks to buy a dress that is used for just one day.
I would appreciate any information.
Thanks
Kalunga

#11 Guest_enoch akrofi_*

Guest_enoch akrofi_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:41 AM

NO i want you to take heart okay in this life is a great struggle okay so please exercise patience okay

#12 Bula Matali

Bula Matali

Retired Coochi Popper

• V.I.P
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,446 posts
    Cars
    Sex and Relationships,
    Religion,
    Ghanaian Development

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:47 PM

Wedding dresses cost as much as the couple are willing to pay. Decide how much you want to pay and find a wedding dress that fits your budget.

Edited by Bula Matali, 31 May 2010 - 04:47 PM.

Posted Image

#13 Guest_igwee_*

Guest_igwee_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

Dear Ghanaians ! Since I would like to marry a girl from Ghana but might be fooled by a scammer I need some info on traditional marriages in Ghana. I have been told that I have to pay the bride`s price ( about 1000,- new Ghana cedis) to the parents of the girl and then this is about it, no ceremony happens after that. For me it is hard to believe that there is no traditional ceremony. And then she wants me to pay her wedding dress in advance, she asked me for 470,- new Ghana cedis. It is also hard to believe for me that a dress is so expensive when I consider the low wages in Ghana. After the official marriage at the registrar general she wants a wedding party and asked me for 4700,- new Ghana cedis for that, which I refused to accept. I am not that rich to pay for so much luxury.
I would be very thankful for any information before it is too late ! It looks like she is looking for a ticket to Europe !?
Yours

Kalunga

You need to stop looking for a woman and let it happen natural.How can you marry someone you never seen you moron.Kalunga your name is probably Robert some sorry lonely whiteboy lusting for a blackgirl with a beautiful body.My wife is Ghanain and we are both cracking up,lol!!!

Igwee

#14 Guest_Maame Aba_*

Guest_Maame Aba_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:12 AM

Yours

Kalunga

You need to stop looking for a woman and let it happen natural.How can you marry someone you never seen you moron.Kalunga your name is probably Robert some sorry lonely whiteboy lusting for a blackgirl with a beautiful body.My wife is Ghanain and we are both cracking up,lol!!!

Igwee

And you, Igwee need to learn to read. He says he's met this girl already, that they spent some time together in Accra. You have no excuse whatsoever for calling him names. He asked a valid question and has been quite decent on here. You have no right to come up calling people names, especially when you can't even be bothered to find out what it is you're talking about.

@ Kalunga, I think it was dangerous for you to come meet this girl. Suppose she'd been in league with some armed robbers and lured you to the country to rob you? You were lucky to make it here and back without being robbed and I'm thankful for that. There's always a huge risk when you meet people that you've met online.

From what you've told me, it looks like this woman thinks you have the means to give her a luxurious life. She's not going to consider a cheaper dress cuz she thinks you can afford it. Of course, once her family hears you're from germany or any other country, they're going to hike up the bride price. My brother got married traditionally for a small sum of cash, a couple of bottles of wine, native sandals and two bibles. Of course, we threw in a couple more things to show he could care for the woman, but we left out the expensive parties and frivolities. She should understand you are not rich, that life is not rosy as she thinks it is for you, and convince her family to cut down a bit on the bride price and expenses. If she can't do that, then i think you should let her go. She can't enter a marriage thinking she can make unnecessary demands. It's childish behaviour and needs to be fixed right away.

Good luck!!!

Maame

#15 ralph

ralph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:29 PM

hello i am an american male 49 years of age.i have met a ghanaian woman online and the culture difference has somewhat come between us .i am looking for soomeone to help me understand the culture of ghana better so i can get to know her better appreciate any help thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users